Thursday, May 28, 2009

End of Innocence or Education via Music

My youngest school children who are really good at English had a story last week entitled "Who Are You?" I asked them if they had heard of CSI and none of them had. I am constantly surprised at the amount of American pop culture these kids know, so I thought at least one of them would be familiar with the show. I guess they just don't get it over here. Anyway, I played the song, Who Are You, by The Who, and the kids loved it! I was shocked. I thought they would hate it because I've found very few Koreans who like Classic Rock. They loved it, and have asked to listen to it everyday since, and who am I to refuse little children who want to listen to The Who?

While at the beach last Saturday, I let Diane listen to the music I like since all she listens to is Korean pop music (keep in mind she's a 12-year old girl). First I had her listen to System of a Down. She didn't really like it. Then I had her listen to Dream Theater. She didn't really like it. Then I had her listen to Coheed & Cambria. She didn't really like it. Then I had her listen to Underoath. She didn't really understand it. All in all, I believe I've ruined the innocence of a number of children. I hope to ruin some more.

I have a friend whose school closed down and wasn't given any warning. She was going to find another job, but her boyfriend unofficially proposed to her, so she decided to go back to Canada instead. In the meantime, her school didn't fully close down, it just lost a lot of money and only had 10-15 students. She was still trying to teach when and what she could, but her school didn't really pay her. They also kinda kicked her out of her apartment.

This all happened in a matter of 2 weeks. She had no place to go, and a medium-to-large dog, so her friends didn't want to help her. I, who hates keeping animals as inside pets, whose apartment is immaculate, who hates dogs because they always lick everything, offered for her to stay at my place for a few days until her flight. It was an interesting 5 days during which my toilet seat got broken off my toilet, the entire floor of my apartment got licked, the dog peed twice in its kennel and as a result got bathed twice in my bathroom (hence the toilet seat), she nearly chewed up the ink pen I got in Guatemala, and hair and dander got EVERYWHERE, amongst other things too traumatic for me to remember. She left Tuesday morning, and I'm still cleaning.

I did get paid for the experience, in a manner of speaking. She left behind some useful things, such as a full-length mirror, some decent speakers, a fitted sheet, an electric adapter, an outlet extender, some soap, a hammer and nails, a wrench, two small dry-erase boards, and some shoes that I will shortly turn into cash if she doesn't want them.

There's a girl who works at the front desk at work. She's a temp, and kinda cute, and she likes to look at me and smile, so I like to look back at her and smile. It's a nice routine we got going. Today, I was so bold as to ask my boss if inter-office dating were ok. I would never ask such a thing if it were a fellow-teacher, but she works at the front desk, AND she's a temp, so I thought maybe. Well, the short answer is no, and the long answer is no, and she likes to look at all the guys and smile. That kinda took the wind out of my sails, but oh well. My boss did remind me she's a temp, and she might leave soon. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment