Sunday, May 3, 2009

*Tear

Last night I had my first good beer since I've been here. I went into Seoul with some friends and went to a bar called Freebird, haha. They had Hoegaarden and Guinness, and I nearly wept. I tried a beer I had never heard of, brewed in New York. It was called Honey Brown Ale or something like that. I reminded me of a mixture of Sam Adam's Brown Ale and Honey Ale. It had the sweetness of the Honey, and fullness of the Brown, and not much bitterness. Really good beer, I suggest it if ever you see it. Buses and subways stop running at 11pm, so we had to stay out until 5.30 when they start running again. We could've taken a taxi, but they're crazy expensive.

Tuesday is Children's Day. It's a national holiday and everyone is off work and school. Actually, lots of kids get Friday and Monday off, as well, for a 5-day weekend. Koreans work all the time, so this is a time for parents to spend with their kids. It translates to no work Tuesday! Yay! I always thought I enjoyed days off as a student, but I love them ten times more as a teacher. Some of my friends have Monday off as well so they went to Tokyo for their long weekend. I think I'm just going to sleep, haha.

I'm getting really fast at reading Korean, I'd say I read Korean as fast as my 13-year-olds who are above average read English. I still don't know how to formulate a sentence, but I intend to learn that this week. Korean has subject markers, so word order doesn't necessarily matter, though from what I can tell most things are in "normal" word order anyway. All I need to know is the basic verbs, some nouns, and subject/object/topic markers and I think I'll be able to make basic sentences. I already know some phrases, but I'm really excited about being able to make up my own sentences on the fly.

I got my gas bill and it, too, went up. I think it increased about 25%, or $1, so I need to start conserving more. Everything here is really well-priced, or downright cheap, except housing, and Topia pays that for me. I wish you guys were all over here b/c then I'd probably never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment