Monday, February 16, 2009

President's Day Hurts Me

I received a call from the Korean Embassy at 3:30pm on Friday telling me that my visa had been returned to them.  The USPS supposedly attempted to deliver it twice and was unable to.  Well, I'm pretty sure that's a lie b/c someone was at my house 24/7 for the past week, because 2 of my roommates have been sick.  Anyway, I had to send another expedited envelope to them asap, and that cost me another $35.  They probably received it Saturday, but they were closed.  They are also closed today, which means the earliest they'll get it is tomorrow, send it in the mail that afternoon or the next, and I'll receive it Wed/Thurs.  I leave out Friday.  This is cutting it close.

I was going to let my mom drive my car while I was gone but the insurance is going to cost her nearly  double what it was otherwise, and she suggested I just give the keys to the loan company.  I'm about 95% gonna do that now.  If I have that car payment for one year while I'm over there, that's over $3200 I'm wasting.  If I'm over there 18 months it comes up to over $4800.  With that extra money over 18 months I could pay off my credit card bills AND my student loans, and when I get back be debt free and not have to pay $600/month for car, insurance and fuel.  It'll hurt my credit, but I don't think I'll need credit anytime soon.  I'll never again have a car payment, I can say that with as much surety as I can anything right now.  The only other two things to have credit for is a house and some jobs, and I don't plan on buying a house soon, perhaps never.  As for a job that checks my credit, those are usually the jobs I avoid anyway.  Hopefully this won't turn around to bite me in the butt, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment