Saturday, November 14, 2009

Laughing

This is a vignette primarily about loneliness. I'm reading Chuck Palahniuk so it's somewhat influenced by his style.

And this guy walks out of a corner store laughing maniacally, staring right into my mouth as if lip-reading words that aren't there. I'm walking, I'm walking, I'm walking. I see a billboard with a woman in a bikini. Over her head are the words "Testicular cancer?" and below her are the words "Call your elementary school." It's dusk--or dawn--they look the same, and the time is the same at this time of year, so my watch with it's hands that can't help, don't help. I'm walking, I'm walking, I'm walking. A woman who is wearing a shirt with words on it holds a book with no words on it. She moves her book in front of her shirt to cover the words that I am intently reading, and for a moment I experience an optical illusion where the words from the shirt transport themselves onto the book, but it's only a moment and moments don't last very long, never last very long, won't last very long. I'm walking, I'm walking, I'm walking, and the guy from the corner store comes out of another corner store, only this time laughing more maniacally but still staring into my mouth, hoping for words, praying for words, but I don't understand why, and I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, and then I see this young Korean student guy with long, dark, beautiful hair wearing a skirt, listening to his favorite song 416 times, with red wrist bands on.

Now I see this guy walking towards the corner staring at me staring into his mouth looking for words that aren't there, laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment