Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Duck Dodgers, and the 24th-and-a-half Century!

(Title is a Looney Tunes reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dodgers )

Well, I've finally managed to waltz into Modernity by purchasing a cell phone and getting internet in my apartment. My boss (the president of the school) has been calling the people to come set up the internet but they kept failing. Monday she called them and told them it was their last chance, if they didn't come Tuesday morning we were going with someone else. Well, that's all find and good except I get a 10% discount on my bill if I go with them (KTF) b/c I have my cell phone with them. Also, there is no one else in my area because this is a new building, haha. Well, luckily the internet people came around 9.30 this morning. When they rang my buzzer my first thought was, "mmm, cookies are done." Perhaps I was dreaming about cookies, idk, but thems was my first thoughts. Anywho, they set up my internet in about 5 minutes, and of course I wasn't able to get back to sleep. Instead, I downloaded movies and junk with my new internet! It's amazingly fast. I downloaded The Curios Case of Benjamin Button in about 10 minutes. That's a 3 hour movie, for those who don't know. It's not always that fast, and it does depend on who I'm getting stuff from, but it's pretty fast here.

Grace's mom is a nurse. When I found that out of course I began talking to her about being a nurse aide in the States. We had a fun conversation about that when we went to Seoul. Anyway, the hospital she works in just so happened to be running a deal with KTF. I got her my bank info and everything and she set up my cell phone for me on Tuesday, and she gave it to me Tuesday night when she picked Grace up from work. It was the free phone, but it's still pretty swank. Grace changed the language to English, but there are still a couple things in Korean. For instance, when I try to connect to the network to download stuff it's Korean, so I just won't be doing that I guess. Anyway, it's got TV (free), radio, a SIM card so I can take it to the States and switch SIM cards and it'll work, etc. My two favorite things about the phone, though, is it's dictionary and subway map. That's right, it's got a map of every subway in Korea, and a Korean-English, English-Korean dictionary. It has games, too, but who needs them when I can find out how to say "helluva" in Korean!? So incredibly useful, that. It's got video calling, a 2MP camera, and an MP4 player. I'm not really sure why I'm giving so much detail about this phone, it's not all that fancy, but I guess it's the most fancy phone I've ever had, and it's basically the first thing I've gotten since I've been here that hasn't been a necessity.

My students are constantly doing and saying hilarious stuff, mostly b/c they mix up the language, but here's a story about a student who I don't teach. My friend Daero, previously mentioned in some blogs, teaches a lot of writing classes. In one class, the students were supposed to write about a fun event in their life. One child began their paper with, "I'm going to tell you about the time I slept with my friend. I really enjoyed it. Here's what I did..." Kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment