Saturday, March 21, 2009

Am I in Korea?

So there are times when I forget I'm in Korea. I don't know why, but I'll be using the bathroom, or I'll wake up, or I'll be walking out of my apartment, and suddenly I'll remember I'm in Korea. When and why did I forget? I'm not really sure what this means. It's kinda weird, though, and funny.

In the early spring, winds pick up sand from the Gobi Desert in China and blow it across the sea to Korea. It causes slight respiratory discomfort to some, and I'm one of those lucky few. It kinda feels like I'm having allergy problems, but only in my chest. I have a slight cough but that's about it. It reminds me of tree pollen, the way it blankets cars and sidewalks. Some people wear masks over their faces. One of my student's name is Kat and she has one that has cat ears and whiskers on it, it cracks me up. I'd like to get one, but I think they're kinda dumb looking and only useful for a few days, though I don't think the Koreans know that. I'd like to get a bandanna or something but idk how that'll be looked at over here.

This week was pretty good I suppose, nothing remarkable besides the students cheating on the Unit Test. I think I'm losing weight, or at least some fat, around my stomach. I now have to tighten my belt to the last hole. I suspect it has something to do with eating more regularly and healthily, and getting more exercise (teaching kids can be a workout). I hope I don't lose anymore, though, or my pants will fall off. I suppose Koreans pants might comfortably fit me then, at least in the waist.

It was Friday last night, so we went out. We had Korean barbecue. I think I've explained it before, but there's a small grill inside the middle of the table and you cook the meat and veggies right there. Then, you take what you want, wrap it up in a lettuce leaf, and shove it in your mouth. It's delicious. Anyway, we went to a bar afterwards and closed it down around 3-4, then went to another place until 5.30. The buses stop running between I think 1am and 5.30am, so if you need to go somewhere then you have to catch a cab. Well, cabs are expensive, and on top of that they jack up their rates at night, so we just stay out til 5.30 instead of taking a cab home. I probably fell asleep at 6, but I still woke up at 11.30 for some reason. I suppose I'll sleep well tonight.

Well, anyway, today was a gorgeous day and I wanted to walk around but besides recovering from last night, the yellow sand kept me away. I had to grade EBCs, and as usual I waited to the last minute to get them done. I started them at 3pm, but only half-heartedly, and come 8pm I had only gotten 5-10 finished, when it normally takes 45-60 minutes for 10. Well, I was on track to finish a few minutes before midnight when the website crashed, so I still have 5 to do but can't. I emailed Paul about it, I don't think it's gonna be a big deal. I've got a lot of papers to grade, as well, because my upper-level students have an essay a week to write, and I have 20-30 students, so that's 20-30 papers/wk. They're only one page, luckily.

I don't know how many of you have Skype, but I did in America and I was never IMed by random people. Now, in Korea, I get a random IM from an Asian chick almost every time I'm on Skype. They're usually from Korea but I've had a few from China and even one from the Phillipines. Apparently it's the thing to do, IM people you don't know and talk to them. I suspect, though, that part of it is that they want to practice their English. Anywho, I got an IM tonight from a girl, but her English was actually pretty good so I talked to her for a while. She lives in Busan, which is on the southern tip of Korea. I had been wanting to visit Busan, and my dad's flying down in June, so I told her I was going to Busan in June. She then offered to be my tour guide and she gave me her cell phone number. I'm not quite sure how to take it, but I'm gonna call her when I go to Busan, and I'm sure I'll talk to her a couple of more times on Skype. She did seem pretty cool, as much as you can tell when someone's typing to you.

I got my Alien Registration Card today, so I'm official. It's just got my passport photo in the top right, the dates it's valid, my name and Alien number, I guess, my country, and my visa type. Then it's got a lot of Korean stuff, obviously idk what it says. Basically, I can buy a cell phone now, so I'm going in the next couple of days with Grace and I'm gonna get a plan. Also, stepping even further into the 21st century, two of my coworkers live in my building and I've mentioned us sharing internet. I'm still not sure about it b/c I'll just be in my apt more, but it would make doing the EBCs easier, and I could call you people at 2am while I'm in my apt rather than sitting outside on a bench looking like an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment