Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Teaching Kills

Yesterday was my first day teaching, and I felt totally unprepared. I even forgot to take my textbook to the first class! That standardized training I mentioned before was a total waste of time, I wish I had spent those days at Topia observing and learning. Everyone who went to that training feels the same way, too. After the mistakes I made yesterday, however, today went much better. On top of that I have two free periods on Tuesdays and Thursdays so it's a shorter day, too.

Teaching 8-11 year olds is really weird. These kids are infinitely better behaved than in the States, and they're pretty bright, but they're still little kids. I have to explain things to them that a middle schooler would know and understand. I have to walk them down the stairs at the end of the day. It's just so weird to be around these tiny children, but I'm acclimating quickly. Today and yesterday I basically woke up, went to work, came home, went to sleep. I was at the office about 11 hours yesterday, and about the same today. Unfortunately overtime only kicks in if I teach more, not be in the office more. After today, though, I feel really prepared for tomorrow and probably won't go in until I'm supposed to, at 2pm.

I only brought two novels with me, both purchased with the gift card Ami gave me for my bday. I finished one of them yesterday and am about 1/5 finished with the other. I've really been milking them for all they're worth, reading slowing and sparingly, but inevitably I will finish them. Fortunately, Paul has a couple of Vonegut books and there's a big bookstore in Seoul that has a decent-sized English section. By the time I'm done with Paul's Vonegut books I hope to be reading Korean children books, though, so maybe I won't have to worry about it. Speaking of which, I didn't do any language studies today or yesterday, but I think I'll have time the rest of the week so I still hope to be a fast reader between this weekend and next.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that's dumb; it posted it twice, and then when you try to delete it, it just leaves a remnant of it there---terribly silly

    ReplyDelete
  3. austin, you make me laugh. jason, i'm glad to hear it's going well. sorry i missed you in chucktown, but midterms and crap were starting right around then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and you need to update your layout so that i can follow your blog on blogspot.

    ReplyDelete