Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Update

The title is an SNL reference, btw. Let's see, Friday we all went out after work. I'd tell you about it, but I don't remember it. Actually, I'm kidding, I do remember it, but you get what I mean (gotta keep this somewhat professional).

Anywho, I volunteered to interview children on Saturday for Topia. I got W25,000 for an hour's work, but it really only took ~30 minutes. The inteview process is pretty easy; there're six parts. Part one I point to pictures and ask "who are they?" or "what is that?" The pictures are of a stack of books, a lion, an umbrella, police officers, singers, etc. They have to get at least 10 points out of a possible 15 (points are based on the fluency of their answer. If they just say "book" instead of "that's a book" then they get less points) to advance to part two. In part two I ask some questions such as "do you like soccer?" "what is the weather like today?" "when is your birthday?" etc. Again, 10 out of 15 to advance. The other sections are comparing pictures and giving differences, giving directions using a map provided, interviewing me as different people, and simple debate. This allows them to be placed accurately into Topia. So, today I had new students that I probaby interviewed Saturday. Saturday night I spent almost five hours grading EBCs online, another thing I volunteered to do for money. I get W2500 per EBC, and each EBC takes between 5-10 minutes. So, basically, another W25,000 per hour. EBCs are voluntary on the students part. They read a children's book and answer questions online. Then, I grade them for spelling, grammar and accuracy.

Anyway, Sunday I was lazy b/c I drank coffee Saturday night and was up until almost 5am. I slept in til 1:30, so I missed church (my favorite language study) and did nothing all day. I didn't even feel like leaving my house to eat, but I eventually did. I actually got some real sushi for W2500. It was king crab meat sushi, and it looked awesome. I'm gonna get it again and take a picture of it just so everyone can see it. It seriously belonged in a 3 diamond restaurant, and it cost $1.50.

Today was Monday, as usual, and I taught. It's getting easier and easier, better and better. I'm finally beginning to learn most of my students names, which is good, because they look visibly hurt when you don't know their names. I don't know if their public school teachers are brilliant and can learn their names in one day or what, but I have them 2 hrs/wk. Humans being creatures of habit, nearly everyone sits in the same seat everyday, in every class, so I've made word files for each class where the students usually sit. Instead of just pointing to them and saying "you, read" I can just look down at the computer in the podium and say "Julia, read." btw, there are like 7 Julies or Julias, just on Mondays for me, and probably half as many Brians.

No comments:

Post a Comment